1. Who won the last Nobel Peace Prize?
2. Who are the three richest people in the world?
3. Who has won the most Olympic Medals?
4. Who was the previous leader of the opposition in your State?
5. Who was the last Australian Oscar winner?
and do you remember…
1. A friend who helped you get through a tough time?
2. Two teachers who helped you at school?
3. Five people who have taught you something worthwhile?
4. A person who has made you feel appreciated?
5. Five people who you enjoy spending time with?
Get the message? The people we remember are not the ones with the most awards, money, credentials or medals. They are the ones who cared about us and helped us when we needed help. Yesterday’s winners are forgotten. Even people who are the best in their field soon become history. Applause dies in seconds. I still remember a kind teacher who introduced me to the enjoyment of reading when I was twelve. I am still grateful to him.